Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get into Walch Creekside Log Cabin Retreat?

Our property manager, John Alcorn with Great Smoky Rentals will contact you and provide you with instructions and access information. The address is 67 Reservation Road, Maggie Valley, NC 28751 (be sure to put zip code and some mapping tools will only get you to Soco Road).

What is the property managers contact phone #?

John Alcorn with Great Smoky Rentals phone # is (828) 564-6855

Do you provide meal service?

The Walch Creekside Log Cabin Retreat has a fully equipped kitchen for guest to prepare their meals, as well as, a BBQ gas grill on the wrap around deck.

What do I need to bring for my Smoky Mountain Trip?

Bring camera, personal items and clothing that you can layer, shorts for summer months, bathing suit for the hot tub and playing in the creek. Blue jeans are appropriate at most Maggie Valley Restaurants.

What airport do we fly into and what care rentals are available to reach your cabin ?

Asheville Airport and Asheville Car Rental Companies

When is the best time to come stay at Walch Log Cabin Retreat in Maggie Valley?

We are a year round vacation rental cabin and depending on your personal taste for adventure and exploration each season offers a special nature experience. Please remember winter season requires one vehicle in the party to be 4 wheel drive due to possible snow and ice.

What can we do in the area?

You can explore main street of Maggie Valley, Waynesville and Cherokee as all offer a unique quaint town experience. Cataloochee Ski and Ranch are always a fun place for all seasons of the year with winter sports and wild life viewing. Fall leaves is a wonderful time to jump on the Blue Ridge Parkway and explore the many hiking trails and waterfalls along the route to either Cherokee or Asheville. While heading into Asheville have lunch at Pisghan Inn restaurant and enjoy the panoramic views of the Smoky Mountains. Day trips to Nantahala Outdoor Center, Chimmney Rock, Clingman’s Dome are just a few adventures trips of the area. If guest prefer city life shopping in Asheville’s eclectic town, visiting the Biltmore Estates and/or Grove Park Inn always is a full day of sightseeing.

What is there to do around the cabin?

The Walch Creekside Cabin is the perfect place to hang out on one of the two wrap around decks listening to the soothing sound of the creek as you read that book you promised to finish on your vacation. Hike along the creek to many community waterfalls and check out the rock crevices for the largest population of salamanders in the world. The game room is a fun gathering place with large table for playing cards or board games, or challenging family members to a game of ping-pong or a game of pool. Start or end the day relaxing in the hot tub spa and then grill up a BBQ meal or home cooked meal in our fully equipment kitchen for all to savor.

Do you have Wireless DSL Internet and Cable TV available?

We have satellite Direct TV for viewing pleasure. Limited Satelite wireless Internet service 500 MGB per day additional data purchases available at $16 per 2 GB through our property manager

Do you have Air Conditioning and Heat in the cabin?

This cabin is cooled by the cool air of being at a high elevation and the cool air off the creek keeps the temperature comfortable in spring and summer seasons, therefore there is no central air conditioning in the cabin. Each room does have a ceiling fan to circulate the cool air. The cabin does have a large gas furnace for a central heating system.

Is there a hot tub for guest use?

There is s a large hot tub on the lower deck and a jet tub in the master bathroom. For the safety and enjoyment of our guests, your hot tub will be drained and cleaned the morning of your departure date. Your cooperation will be appreciated. For arriving guests, this might necessitate a delay in using the hot tub on the first evening of your stay because the water may not be totally heated. We apologize for this inconvenience, but your safety is important. Please be sure that the hot tub cover is kept in the down position after use to insure safety of all guest and allow for proper re-heating. For your safety it is recommended that you limit use to 15 minutes and do not drink alcohol when in hot tub.

Can I bring my pet?

PETS: Pets are not allowed in the cabin or on the property Some guest have chosen to board their pet in Waynesville at several boarding options, so they can pick-up and drop-off and take their pet with them on their daily adventures. Guest need to be aware that the Great Smoky National Park does not permit pets in the park or on the trails.


SERVICE ANIMALS: Mobility, visually or hearing impaired persons have the right to be accompanied by an assistance dog trained to provide assistance to the person with respect to the person’s impairing condition, on any premises that person rents.

How close are you to restaurants and grocery shopping?

A wide variety of restaurants are in Maggie Valley and Waynesville area that are reasonable priced and family friendly. The Chamber websites on the Sightseeing Tab and the Restaurant & Shopping Tab of our website provides a list of all restaurants. Are favorites in Maggie Valley are Frankie’s for Italian, JArthur’s for All-American dining, and Guayabitos Mexican restaurant. In Waynesville, we have enjoyed dining at Maggie’s Galley Oyster Bar for seafood for years which used to be in an old cabin by Ingles but now is off the interstate at Sulfur Springs Road. If you are willing to drive along the Parkway Pisgah Inn offers a nice meal with a beautiful mountain range view.  There are a couple gas station shopping stops in Maggie Valley, but we recommend doing your main shopping at Ingles in Waynesville.  Be sure if you are grocery shopping at Ingles to get your Ingles card as the saving is worth the effort to obtain the card at the customer service counter.

Can I smoke at the cabin?

SMOKING: We do not permit smoking inside our “No Smoking” cabin. Smoking is permitted on the decks and grounds. Please extinguish all cigarettes in ashtrays and dispose of them properly to prevent a fire hazard and keep the grounds well maintained.

What do I do with our trash?

Trash must be deposited at the Hornbuckle Community trash container at the entrance road to the community. Jackson County does not provide curb-side pick-up and unfortunately there is no recycling. It’s a good idea to dispose of trash each time you go into town and please do not leave trash bags on decks as it attracts animals. ALL TRASH MUST BE REMOVED FROM YOUR RENTAL UPON DEPARTURE.

What do I need to bring as far as soap and paper products?

You provide paper products such as paper towels, toilet paper (1 roll per bathroom startup provided) , napkins, trash bags, soaps/hand & body soaps, dish, dishwasher and laundry soap.

How do you expect the cabin to be left upon departure?

You are required to wash and put away all dishes, remove any/all items from refrigerator, and remove your trash. We ask that each unit be treated as if it were your own. Do not rearrange the bedding or furniture. GREAT SMOKY RENTALS will not be responsible for any items left in a cabin by a tenant. If GSR is requested by tenant to pick up and return any item left in a cabin, items will be returned by UPS or US Postal Service , plus a service charge of $30.00 will be deducted from your security deposit.

Does everyone need a fishing or hunting license?

Please refer to website link provided regarding licensing requirements for the state of North Carolina for fishing and hunting. Licensing in NC

Is there a public golf course nearby?

Yes, there is a public golf course in nearby town Lake Junaluski. Lake Junaluski Golf Course

What time is check-in and check-out?

Check-in is at 4:00 P.M. Check-out is at 10:00 AM.
Late departures will result in another days charge.

You will receive a phone call from our property manager GSR and will be provided with arrival information to access the cabin.

There will be a $30 security deposit deduction for all keys not placed back into the cabin lock box.

What if there is a maintenance issue at the cabin?

Maintenance and cleaning services are performed by Alcorn Property Services (APS) and and can be reached by notifying John Alcorn (GSR & APS) at 828-564-6855. . PLEASE REPORT ANY PROBLEMS OR DAMAGES IN YOUR UNIT THE DAY OF CHECK-IN TO APS. IF NOT REPORTED, WE MUST ASSUME THE DAMAGE OR LOSS OCCURRED DURING YOUR OCCUPANCY AND MAY DEDUCT IT FROM YOUR SECURITY DEPOSIT. When maintenance needs arise during your stay (light bulb burns out in a non-reachable place, leaky faucet, toilet runs, grill starter doesn’t work, oven burner not working, etc.), please notify GSR at 828-564-6855. It may be necessary for us to enter the unit during reasonable hours to perform minor repairs but tenants are not required to be on premises.

Where do I purchase firewood for the cabin's wood burning fireplace and fire ring?

Firewood available for purchase and delivery through property manager, John Alcorn with Great Smoky Rentals but requires per-order payment and delivery prior to guest arrival.

What temperature should I leave the cabin at when I depart and should I lock the cabin up?

During the winter months, upon departure please place the thermostat for furnaces and monitors at 55 degrees and do not leave any space heater plugged in.

Upon all departures during and final be sure that all windows are in their locked position and doors are securely pulled tight and locked. Additionally, turn off all lights to conserve energy.

What if we have an emergency?

Call 911 for all emergencies and indicate the home is at 67 Reservation Road, Maggie Valley, NC 28751 in the Hornbuckle homeowners community in Jackson County. In case of fire or house damage also contact property manager, John Alcorn with GSR after contacting 911.

The closest hospital is Haywood Regional Medical off Hwy 19 coming in from the east of I-40.

What kind of vehicle do I need in the winter when there is snow and ice on the roads?

At least one vehicle should be 4 wheel-drive and have tire chains in the winter months when there is the possibility of snow and ice.   We are not responsible for damages incurred due to weather or cost to evacuate your family or vehicles.   If GSR or APS (our property management) are required to assist you in an evacuation due to a snow in, you will be charged for their services.